The back is a complex area, but one that’s easy to neglect. These back workouts target each of the major muscles of the back in order, starting with the smaller ones in the front and ending with a couple of sets of bent-over rows to work with your lats. Do these back workouts two times per week and they will provide you with unexpected results.
Having a big back adds a different look to your personality. Also, remember targeting the back does not mean that you are just focusing on your back muscles, in addition to many workouts will target your core, shoulders, and bicep muscles also. Having a well build back will make you look great and also strengthens your overall physique.
Why building or focusing on back is important?
Having a great back not only supports a great personality but improves your posture. Strongback prevents your lower back from getting injured. By building your back, you are basically making the overall supporting structure of your body strong. By making your lower back strong you are building a base for your upper body. Remember this for lifting heavy weights you need to have a strong lower back or overall back.
In this article, we are going to focus on some exclusive back workouts that will help you build 3d back.
Key Points that we are going to discuss in this article:
- The most important workouts
- How to perform these workouts
- Tips and suggestions
- Sets and Reps
Complete 3D Back Workouts | Exclusive Workouts For Building Awesome Back
So, the first workout on our list is pull-ups. Pull-ups are a basic yet difficult bodybuilding move that many people suffer to perform. Do not worry anymore I am going to tell you some tips to help you perform a perfect pull-up.
Why pull-ups are important?
Pull-ups can be considered as one of the major bodybuilding moves. This right here not only targets your back muscles but acts upon biceps, traps, rhomboids, and core muscles. Pull-ups are the best way to check your overall upper body strength. Also, there are many variations available that can help you make them easy or challenging for you.
How to perform a perfect pull-up:
- Stand near the pull-up bar and lean forward it.
- Hold the bar wider then the shoulder width.
- Tighten your grip and hang completley on the bar with your knees bend or straight that is up to you.
- keep your core engaged and pull yourself straight up to the bar.
- As, you reach up hold for a second, and move downward to the starting position.
- Let the pull up strech your lats completely.
- Keep your core engaged through out the pull-ups.
Sets and Reps: 3 sets 08 to 12 reps.
You can change the number of reps according to your convenience. But make sure you do at least 6 reps per set and try to increase accordingly.
Taegeted Muscle Groups:
Pull-ups target your lats, traps, rhomboids, core muscles, and biceps. Along, with these, there are many other muscles that work along with these major muscle groups.
2. Lat Pull down:
Lat pulldown is one of the most effective workouts that focuses mainly on lats. Not only lats but there are more muscles that get involved while performing these workouts.
Benefits of Lat Pull Down:
Lat pulldown basically targets latissimus dorsi which is commonly known as lats. Lats are the muscles that stretch just under your armpits across and down the back. This workout basically targets your lats so you can completely focus on them which out tiring other muscles of your body.
Not only this workout volumizes your back but helps in improving posture and adds an extra charm to your personality.
How to perform lat pulldowns:
- Adjust the bar according to your comfort.
- Make sure the bar is at such a height where your arms are fully streched when you grasp the bar.
- Tuck your thighs under the thigh pad of the machine.
- Hold the bar at shoulder width apart.
- Pull the bar just at the level of your chin.
- Squeeze your back or shoulder blades at the end of the motion.
- Hold for a second and slowly return the rod to the starting position.
- As you reach up, strech your lats and repeat.
Sets and Reps: 3 sets 10 to 12 reps each.
Targeted muscle groups: latissimus dorsi or lats, rhomboids, traps, and majorly back.
Pro tip: Make sure you squeeze and stretch your lats on each rep to maximize muscular tension which in return will provide you more muscular growth.
3. Seated Cable Rows:
Seated cable rows are a great workout to build a thick back. As we are focusing on the back workouts that are going to target some important muscle groups of your back. Make sure you add this one to your workout routine. This is a basic workout that has many alternatives available but performs the basic version until you master the basic technique.
Benefits of seated cable rows:
Seated cable rows not only target your back but addition, your arm muscles also come into action. This workout majorly focuses on building lats but acts upon the biceps and triceps muscle group also. The biceps and triceps act as great stabilizers for this workout. In addition to this, your hamstring and glutes also come into action. Lats are considered as major muscle groups on which this workout acts.
How to perform a seated cable row:
- Sit on the machine with your legs straigh and feet resting upon the platform.
- Lean forward and hold the bar with a tight grip.
- Pull the bar towards your lower abdomen.
- Do not use the full momentum of row by moving your torso back.
- Keep your back straight and chest out during the workout.
- As you pull the rod make sure you squeeze your shoulder blades whithout leaning backwards.
- When returning to the start position do not forget to stretch your lats.
Sets and Reps: 3 sets 10 to 12 reps each.
Pro tip: Squeeze your shoulder blades as hard as you can when you pull the rod to your abdomen section. Also, make sure you stretch your lats when returning to the starting position. You can lean a little forward but don’t lean back as leaning back will make this workout less effective.
4. Chest Supported Dumbbell Rowing:
So, this is one of my favorite workouts. Basically, this one is easy to do and comes with high potential.
Benefits of chest supported dumbbell rowing:
Chest-supported dumbbell rowing is basically an alternative for rowing. Performing this workout not only targets your back muscles but also helps in building biceps muscles. What actually happens is with a supported chest you limit the momentum of your body to some extend. So all the work here is done by your biceps and back muscles. So, this is how you are able to build a more muscular back and big biceps. You must be thinking about how biceps are going to grow so here is a little explanation on that.
When you perform chest-supported dumbbell row or decline dumbbell rowing. You are basically restricting some amount of movement that is going to increase the performance of major muscles. From major muscles I mean your back muscles. So the thing happening here is that you are just lifting the weight with all the power from your back muscles and biceps. This way you are maximizing the work of back muscles which will result in a well-developed back.
How to perform chest supported dumbbell rowing:
- Get an incline bench and a pair of dumbbell to start this workout.
- Lean on to the bench with your chest facing the pad.
- Hold the dumbbells in each hand.
- Let your arms hang down the pad.
- Pull the dumbbells in upward direction and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Hold and start returning to the starting position.
- Simple as that and then just repeat.
Sets and Reps: 3 sets 10 to 12 reps each
Pro tip: Make sure your chest rest at the end of the pad. As you pull the dumbbells in an upward direction make sure you squeeze your shoulder blades. To ensure the proper movement does not need to go heavy in the beginning.
5. Standing Wide Grip Rowing:
You must be thinking that I have talked mostly about rowing workouts. Yeah, you are right rowing workouts or we can consider them as pull workouts basically. These workouts focus majorly on your back muscles. So, to build a bigger and thicker back you need to add these to your workout routine.
Benefits of standing wide grip rowing:
Talking about the benefits I should say you will achieve a bigger, broader, and thicker back with this one. This workout not just focuses on your back but also targets many other muscles that will help you grow faster.
How to perform standing wide grip rowing:
- Grab the rod from lat pull down machine and hand them on the top pulley of cross cable machine.
- Position the pulley on the top position.
- Hold the bar at your shoulder width apart.
- Step backward few steps, and hold the bar directly in front of you.
- Make sure your arms are straight while holding the bar.
- Keep your back straight and chest out.
- Pull the bar towards your chest and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Lean a little back and maintain that position while performing this workout.
Sets and Reps: 3 sets 10 to 12 reps each.
Pro tip: Squeeze your shoulder blades harder and maintain the tension in those muscles.
The deadlift is a compound workout. So, performing deadlifts will increase your muscular form and overall posture of your body.
Benefits of deadlifts:
Deadlifts help in improving overall body posture. Also, deadlifts don’t just focus upon on building your back muscles. When performing deadlifts your overall body muscles increases. Deadlifts target your hamstrings, back muscles, and core.
How to perform deadlift:
- Load the desired amount of weight on the bar.
- Stand close to the bar with your feet under the bar.
- Now hold the bar with proper grip and bend down.
- Now, as you are in position lift the bar with the strength of your shoulders.
- Keep in mind not to apply the force from your lower back.
- Make sure you keep your back straight and chest out.
Sets and Reps: 3 sets 10 to 12 reps.
Pro tip: Do not arch your back when lifting the weight. If your back is arching then you may need to lower the weight. Try to lift the weight from your shoulder muscles, do not apply much pressure on your lower back. Applying a lot of pressure on the lower back will prone your lower back to injuries.
All these workouts will help you in building a thicker back. These workouts are designed in such a way that they will target your back muscles. If you are a regular gym-goer then I will suggest you follow these workouts in the proper order. If you have any doubts don’t worry I will embed a youtube video that will help you learn about these workouts. Rest if you have any doubts or issues you can mail me. Also, if you want a personalized diet plan or workout plan then you can mail me and I will respond to you shortly.
Muscle builiding can not be done by simply working out. Proper dedication and diet are required to build those hard muscles. So here are some muscle-building foods that will help you achieve your goals.